As of March 1, Google updated its policies to allow gambling apps onto the Google Play Store. Users can now find:
How to get sports betting and casino apps in the Google Store
There are 13 online sportsbooks and 12 online casinos available in Pennsylvania. However, as of March 9, only DraftKings is available in the Google Play Store. PlayPennsylvania will monitor and update as more are added.
- Android, whose users access the apps via direct download from the operator’s website
This major change helps operators reach a wider audience and also makes the process more streamlined for users.
“As sports betting and iGaming continues to expand across the United States, we are excited that DraftKings Sportsbook and Casino apps will soon be available to download for Android users via Google Play.”
STRICT REQUIREMENT FOR GAMBLING APPS
To get a place in the Google Play store, a developer must have a valid gambling license for each country or state where the app is offered. Also, developers in the 15 countries new to the Google Play store have a list of conditions to meet, and a number of them deal with responsible gaming.
Eligible apps must meet the following requirements:
- Developer must successfully complete the application process in order to distribute the app on Google Play.
- App must comply with all applicable laws and industry standards for each country.
- Developer must have a valid gambling license for each country or state/territory.
- Developer must not offer a type of gambling product that exceeds the scope of its gambling license.
- App must prevent underage users from using it.
- App must prevent access and use from countries, states/territories or geographic areas not covered by the developer-provided gambling license.
- The app must NOT be purchasable as a paid app on Google Play, nor use Google Play In-app Billing.
- Free to download and install from the store.
- Rated AO (Adult Only) or IARC equivalent.
- Clearly display information about responsible gambling.
What is means for users and operators
For Android users, it’s a small but welcome upgrade. Most of the early reviews in the Google Play Store DraftKings are positive and some say, “I was waiting for this app on Android” and “This has been the most amazing thing that has ever happened!”
The arrival at the Google Play Store is a big deal for operators.
“The lifetime value of an online casino company is, for many companies, upwards of $1000. However, the cost per acquisition – consisting of ads and marketing, affiliate fees and bonuses to the user – is often 30% to 50% of that, i.e. many hundreds of dollars. To lose even a small percentage of potential signups due to difficulties installing the app is therefore immensely costly. Only the companies themselves have access to the relative customer conversion rates for iOS and Android. However, it’s probably safe to assume that this has been a significant thorn in the industry’s side.”
In January, Pennsylvania online casinos experienced a record-breaking month with more than $80.4 million in revenue. It beat the previous high ($71.6 million) set in December 2020. In January, iGaming slot revenue was $51 million, an eye-popping 609%. year-over-year increase. Online table game games revenue hit $26.7 million, 479% YoY leap.